Tuesday, January 5, 2010

"Maintained & Refurbished" is the new "Shiny & New "

“Does it have to be shiny and new?” by Ann Bednarz, Network World


To boil it down to potential oversimplicity – this article is about making your IT stuff last longer. The writer, Ann Bednarz, is suggesting that instead of replacing equipment as soon as something goes wrong or begins to age, that we should consider preventative maintenance and willingly accept the expense it takes to fix it. As the article said, “"For every dollar they spend refurbishing and redeploying, they defer $14.50 in new procurement. It's a huge gainer in terms of preserving capital," Houghton says.”

And my favorite part of this short article is at the end when Houghton (CEO of IT Asset Recovery for Redemtech) says, “the big change we see is that thrift is cool, thrift serves the business. And thrift is not a word that IT has ever used before." In 2009 from January to May I took on a challenge, I only shopped secondhand. It was my attempt at proving that not everything has to be shiny and new in order to work well. I had good success with my secondhand sweaters, abandoned TV stand, and hand-me-down folders. All it needed was a new owner that believed in it. So why isn’t it the same with our computers? Love the old ones – replace broken parts and maintain what’s working.




No comments:

Post a Comment