Friday, January 15, 2010

Books > Computer.

Okay, okay, the title is a lie. Books are NOT greater than the computer... They are equal. But I do admit sometimes I would love for us to think the first way. Novels, pages, writing, words, have all had a very special place in my heart since I was a young kid and I'm sure that some of our readers feel the same way! Even if you're reading it on your kindle (which I am not, I love the physical book too much to transition)... I say open it up!

Now, in this departure from all things technological, I give you...

MY FAVORITE READS FROM 2009:

Overall favorite: 
Jesus Land by Julia Scheeres

This book did exactly what a 'favorite' book should do - I laughed, cried, gasped, and fell in love with the characters. This deeply striking and honest memoir deals largely with two topics that we'd rather look passed: racism and religioun ... and it does it in the midwest in the 1980s. A book I suggest you immediately put on your own 'to read in 2010' list.



Favorite tug-your-emotions book:
The Five People You Meet In Heaven by Mitch Albom


I realize that I'm a little behind on this one. I'm sure you've already tucked this fantastic, quick read under your belt. I finally dug into it and spent a few solid summer afternoons pouring over Eddie's life and his wanderings through 'heaven.' It was a beautiful portrayal of love and cyclicality of life that we all (or at least I) often overlook.



Favorite brain candy:
The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs

Calling all ladies ... and especially anyone of you who are knitters. This quick, but lovable read is a light-hearted book about a woman, her daughter, and her knitting shop. If you love books that give you a great glimpse into the hearts of its many characters, you're sure to love this one. And what is there not to live about a little heart-warming romance woven throughout (pun intended, haha).



And here's what's on my list...

TO READ IN 2010:
  • Hotel On The Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford
  • The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown
  • The Road by Cormac McCarthy
  • The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Have you read any of these? Planning to add any of my recommendations to your 2010 reading list? Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment